Saturday, December 12, 2009

Entertainment: Comedy

A new comedy club, Funny Business, opened in Asheville last month and I've been looking forward to seeing a show there.  Last night, a friend and I had the opportunity to attend a show and that visit prompted this article.  The Club is located downtown at 56 Patton Avenue, in the basement of the historic S&W Cafeteria Building





We attended the early show at 8 pm.  The club was not nearly packed but an enthusiastic audience of about 30 patrons was present.  The first two comedians were decent and they were successful in cajoling laughs and audience participation.  The headliner, Pat Godwin, performed a "guitar comedy virtuoso" and had the crowd roaring - I noticed a woman sitting at a table to my left had laughed so much she had tears in her eyes.  Pat put on a really good show which I recommend to those seeking good, adult-oriented comedy (not a G-rated performance!).



My friend and I had a great time and especially enjoyed Pat's performance.  Judging from the overall audience reaction, I'd say that was the general audience experience.  I found the Club staff welcoming and polite.  Be advised, there was a two-drink minimum; well drinks were $7 and call $10.  Bottled beer averaged about $3.50.  The venue, a basement, was nicely appointed and seemed to work well as a performance space.  It was very cold outside last night but the temperature in the venue was quite comfortable.  My only criticism of the visit was the scant choice of snacks available to accompany the mandatory two drinks.  I had read in independent coverage of the Club that heavy appetizers would be available but that was not our experience.  When we asked the server what was available she offered to "scrounge up" some chips and salsa, which she did.   This offering met the basic requirement although, as I ate my chips and salsa, I tried to forget the snack had been scrounged.  In my opinion, pretzels, chips, nuts or other snacks should be available, even if for purchase, in an establishment requiring one to drink.

That said, we did have a very good time and will likely return.  By the way, Pat Godwin performs again this evening.  These days, many of us could truly benefit from a good, hearty fit of laughter, right?  If you agree, a show at Funny Business might be something you put on your "to see and do" list when Living in Asheville, North Carolina.


Update:  I visited the club again on 1/8/10 and was pleased to see an appetizer menu was in place.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Rob! Glad you had a good time! We are actually constructing a new appetizer menu and should have it all set very soon so hopefully you'll have great food to go with the drinks and laughs next time!

    ReplyDelete