Sunday, November 1, 2009

Asheville Gyms/Fitness Centers/Health Clubs

I find Asheville offers a reasonably good variety of gyms and fitness centers.  The choices available recently increased significantly with the arrival of The Rush Fitness Complex.  This arrival certainly caught the attention of both local gym users and owners and I have already seen an impact.  It will be interesting to see how the local gym/fitness center landscape changes over the next couple years - sounds like a good follow-up article, eh?

This article does not attempt to address all Asheville gyms/fitness centers.  What I endeavor to do in this article is provide an introduction to facilities that I have familiarity with, either through my own personal use and/or through feedback from friends and acquaintances who use them.  I don't intend to recommend a best gym but instead I aim to provide the reader a good foundation upon which to begin a search for a facility meeting his/her specific needs.  Anyway, I hope the article is helpful in that regard.

As I've already made reference to The Rush Fitness Complex, let me continue with that facility.  According to the Company's website, the chain has 19 fitness centers in North Carolina and Tennessee.  I have visited the facility on Patton Avenue and found it very similar in look, feel and concept to 24-Hour Fitness, for those of you familiar with that chain.  Rush arrived in Asheville this year and has two locations.  The Company has been advertising some seemingly very attractive membership promotions and appears to be drawing lots of members.  I know people who have joined this gym and seem to be happy with that choice.

Like many cities and towns, Asheville has a YMCA.  The Asheville YMCA is located at 30 Woodfin Street.  I have never used this facility but I do know people who have and they seem to like it.

I am a member of Biltmore Fitness and have been for almost two years.  This is a medium size gym and provides a good range of equipment and classes/programs.  This local gym has been in the area for years and is currently owned by Bill Bailey.  Why do I choose this gym?  Well, it is within walking distance of where I live and is, therefore, very convenient.  In addition, Bill and the Staff are friendly and the facility meets my work-out needs with the range of gym and fitness equipment it provides.  "BiltFit" is located at  711 Biltmore Avenue.

I have heard good things about the Asheville Fitness and Racquet Club but I have never visited the facility.  The Club is located just south of downtown Asheville at 200 Racquet Club Road.  I really don't have much more insight on this facility but, as it does appear to be a significant player in this category, I felt it should be included in this article.

The last facility I'll cover is the Sports Complex at the Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa.  I've worked-out at this 50,000 square foot facility a couple times as a guest and I was favorably impressed.   The free weight selection was not extensive but the work-out areas and locker rooms were nicely appointed and very well maintained.  According to the resort website, access to this facility is complimentary for resort guests.  If interested, I suggest you contact the facility for details on gym membership.

So, there's my overview of some of the key players in the local gym/fitness center segment of our local economy.  Again, I think this is a good and useful overview but please regard it as only a good foundation in your search for a facility as it does not cover every choice available.  Whether it's one of the facilities covered above, or one you find on your own, you will certainly find a place to work-out when Living in Asheville, North Carolina.

2 comments:

  1. I am looking for a new gym. I have one of those home gyms which is great for a quick workout, but doesnt get everything done! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many gay predators lurking in the bathrooms.mwatch out for the transexual perverts too!!

    ReplyDelete